Place:


Shepherdswell  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shepherdswell like this:

SIBBERTSWOLD, Shebbertswould, or Shepherdswell, a parish, with a village, in Dover district, Kent; on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, 6 miles NW by N of Dover. It has a r. station with telegraph, and a post-office under Dover, both of the name of Shepherdswell. Acres, 1,836. Real property, £2,385. ...


Pop., 411. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. The railway here traverses a tunnel 1½ mile long. There are Roman entrenchments in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage, united with Coldred, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £255.* Patron, the Archbishop ofThe church is a pleasing structure; and there is a national school.

Shepherdswell through time

Shepherdswell is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shepherdswell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shepherdswell, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6369

Date accessed: 24th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shepherdswell".