Place:


Sholden  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sholden like this:

SHOLDEN, or Shoulden, a parish in Eastry district, Kent; 1¼ mile W of Deal r. station, and extending to the coast. It contains a coastguard battery, occupied by coastguardmen and their families; and its Post town is Deal. Acres, 1,985; of which 105 are water. Real property, £4,913. Pop., 407. Houses, 86. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £280.* Patron, the Archbishop ofThe church is good.

Sholden through time

Sholden is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sholden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sholden, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6363

Date accessed: 21st April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sholden".