Place:


Tipton  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tipton like this:

TIPTON, or Tibbington, a parish in Dudley district, Stafford; on the Birmingham canal, and on the Stour Valley, the South Staffordshire, the Great Western, and the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railways, 1½ mile NNE of Dudley. It contains Horseley-Heath, Dudley-Port, Tipton-Green, Princes-End, Toll-End, and part of Greatbridge villages; and it has seven r. ...


stations, wharves, a head post-office‡ of Tipton at Horseley-Heath, receiving post-offices‡ at Princes-End, Tipton-Green, and Greatbridge, four police stations, a police and petty-sessions court-house, a board of health, and a plentiful supply of good water. Acres, 3,020. Real property, £130,225; of which £32 are in quarries, £38,875 in mines, and £43,549 in ironworks. Pop. in 1851, 24,872; in 1861, 28,870. Houses, 5,695. The property is much subdivided. Iron-stone and coal abound; fire-bricks, cement, soap, grease, malt, files, and nails are made; and heavy iron goods, including anchors, cables, pit-chains, iron-fenders, fire-irons, and all kinds of steam-engine machinery are largely manufactured. The parish is ecclesiastically cut into the four sections of St. Martin, St. Paul, St John, and St. Mark. The livings are all p. curacies in the diocese of Lichfield. Value of St. Martin, £750;* of St. P., £300; of St. J. £50; of St. Mark, £150.* Patron of St. Martin, S. S. Lloyd, Esq.; of St. P., the Incumbent of St. Martin; of St. J., the Incumbent of St. Martin; of St. Mark, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. Three of the churches are recent; and the fourth, excepting the tower, was recently rebuilt. There are 15 dissenting chapels, several national schools, a British school, and charities £69. One of the dissenting chapels, Wesleyan, was built in 1866, at a cost of £5,000.

Tipton through time

Tipton is now part of Sandwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sandwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tipton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tipton, in Sandwell and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/635

Date accessed: 28th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tipton ".