Place:


Sandhurst  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sandhurst like this:

SANDHURST, a village and a parish in Cranbrook district, Kent. The village stands on the river Rother, at the boundary with Sussex, 5½ miles E by N of Etchingham r. station, and 6 S by E of Cranbrook; and has a post-office under Staplehurst, and a fair on 25 May. The parish comprises 4, 382 acres. ...


Real property, £5, 469. Pop., 1, 231. Houses, 257. Downgate is the seat of A. Oakes, Esq. Part of the land is marsh, and part isunder hops. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £800.* Patron, the Archbishop. The church is very early decorated English, muchmutilated. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, national and British schools, and charities £6.

Sandhurst through time

Sandhurst is now part of Tunbridge Wells district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tunbridge Wells has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sandhurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sandhurst, in Tunbridge Wells and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6349

Date accessed: 26th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sandhurst ".