Place:


Riverhead  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Riverhead like this:

RIVERHEAD, a village and a chapelry in Sevenoaks parish, Kent. The village stands 1 mile W N W of Sevenoaks r. station, and has a post-office under Sevenoak's, two inns, and a fair on Whit-Monday. The chapelry isalso a liberty, and comprises 1, 910 acres. Real property, £6, 206; of which £29 are in gas-works. ...


Pop., 1,800. Houses, 382. Montreal Park is the seat of Earl Amherst, and stands amid fine grounds. Bradbourne House is the seat of H. Hughes, Esq.; was built in 1730; and occupies the site of a previous mansion, which wasvisited by Queen Elizabeth. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £90.* Patron, the Rector of Sevenoaks. The church was built in 1831, is in the pointed style, and has a small spire. There is a free school.

Riverhead through time

Riverhead is now part of Sevenoaks district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sevenoaks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Riverhead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Riverhead, in Sevenoaks and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6330

Date accessed: 07th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Riverhead ".