Amblecote  Staffordshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Amblecote like this:

AMBLECOAT, a hamlet and a chapelry in Old Swinford parish, Stafford. The hamlet stands on the southern verge of the county, at the river Stour; and is suburban to Stourbridge, being separated from it only by the river. Acres, 689. Real property, with Kingswinford, £273,468,-of which £66,786 are in mines, £128,936 in iron-works, and £9,550 in canals. ...

Pop., 2,613. Houses, 531. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in potteries, glass-works, collieries, and ironworks.—The chapelry was constituted in 1845, and originally included Woolaston, but since 1860, has been coextensive with Amblecoat hamlet. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £100.* Patron, the Earl of Stamford. The church stands on an eminence, was opened in 1844, and is a pleasing structure of fire bricks.

Amblecote through time

Amblecote is now part of Dudley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dudley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Amblecote itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Amblecote, in Dudley and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 27th November 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Amblecote ".