Place:


Newington  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newington like this:

NEWINGTON-NEXT-HYTHE, a village and a parish in Elham district, Kent. The village stands near the Southeastern railway, 2½ miles N E of Hythe, and 3½ W by N of Folkestone r. station; is a scattered place, amid romantic environs; and has a post-office, of the name of Newington, under Hythe. ...


The parish extendsto the coast; and comprises 3, 134 acres of land, and 60 of water. Real property, £3, 150. Pop., 523. Houses, 94. Beachborough is the seat of T. Brockman, Esq. Asummer-house is on a hill adjoining Beachborough; isaccessible to strangers; and commands very fine and extensive views over land and sea. A vantage-ground on the Downs, about a mile from the village, likewise commands a magnificent view over the marshes to Hastings. There are remains of ancient entrenchments; and Romancoins and pottery have been found The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Cheriton, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a lofty tower; and contains a font cased in carved oak, two brasses of 1501, and a brass of a man and three wives of 1522. There are aninfant school, and charities £4.

Newington through time

Newington is now part of Shepway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shepway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newington, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6293

Date accessed: 10th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newington ".