Place:


Newchurch  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newchurch like this:

NEWCHURCH, a parish and a hundred in Kent. The parish is in Romney-Marsh district; and lies 2 miles S of the Military canal, 3¾ E S E of Ham-Street r. station, and 4½ N by W of New Romney. Post-town, New Romney, under Folkestone. Acres, 3, 122. Real property, £7, 924. Pop., 332. ...


Houses, 67. The property is sub-divided. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £632.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is early English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with an embattled tower; and has very beautiful pillars within the aisles. There are a national school, and charities £25. The hundred is in Shepway lathe; and contains three parishes and part of another. Acres, 9, 410. Pop. in 1851, 1, 112. Houses, 213.

Newchurch through time

Newchurch is now part of Shepway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shepway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newchurch, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6291

Date accessed: 16th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newchurch".