Place:


Nettlestead  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nettlestead like this:

NETTLESTEAD, a village and a parish in Maidstone district, Kent. The village stands on the river Medway, adjacent to the Paddock-Wood and Maidstone railway, ½ a mile S S W of Wateringbury r. station, and 6 S W of Maidstone. The parish contains also the hamlets of West Barming and Nettlestead-Green; the latter of which is near Yalding r. ...


station, and has a post-office under Maidstone. Acres, 1, 441. Real property, £3, 617. Pop. in 1851, 461; in 1861, 575. Houses, 106. The increase of pop. arose from erection of cottages, and fromimprovements in the vicinity of the railway . The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Lord Kingsdown. Nettlestead Place was the residence of the Pimpe family from the time of Edward I.; passed to the Scotts and the Botelers; and has left some remains. About 1 40 acres have usually been under hops. Gravel pits are on the river. The hamlet of West Barming was formerly a separate parish, and still retains ecclesiastically a parochial status. The living of N. is a rectory, united with the rectory of West Barming, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £4 42.* Patron, the Rev. W. F. Cobb. The church is early English, with a tower; and retains, in its windows, interesting ancientstained glass. There is a national school.

Nettlestead through time

Nettlestead is now part of Maidstone district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maidstone has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nettlestead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nettlestead, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6290

Date accessed: 28th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Nettlestead".