Place:


Monks Horton  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monks Horton like this:

HORTON (MONKS), a parish in Elham district, Kent; 2¼ miles N by W of Westonhanger r. station, and 5 NW of Hythe. Post town, Hythe, Kent. Acres, 1, 079. Real property, £1, 382. Pop., 153. Houses, 31. A Cluniac priory, a cell to the house of St. Pancras at Lewes, was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Robert de Ver; was made "indigena" by Edward III.; and, together with the manor which it held, was given, at the dissolution, to Richard Tate, and afterwards passed to the Mantells. ...


The remains of it stand in a low situation among woods; have partly been converted into a farmhouse; and include an arch and some fragments in transition Norman, and of interesting character. A neighbonring eminence commands a fine view. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Brabourne, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church stands in what was once the park of Mount-Morris; has been restored; has a curious wooden tower; and contains tombs of the Robinsons of Mount-Morris.

Monks Horton through time

Monks Horton is now part of Shepway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shepway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Monks Horton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monks Horton, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6285

Date accessed: 24th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Monks Horton".