Place:


Great Mongeham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Mongeham like this:

MONGEHAM (GREAT), a village and a parish in Eastry district, Kent. The village stands 2 miles WSW of Deal r. station; takes its name, by corruption, from Monk-ham, signifying "Monks village;'' was, in the time of Henry III., a considerable market-town; retains, in its centre, a space called the market-place; and has a post office under Deal, and a fair on 29 Oct. ...


The parish comprises 874 acres. Real property, £3,108. Pop, 349. Houses, 84. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to Saint Augustine's, Canterbury. Some remains exist of an ancient mansion of the Crayfords. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £469.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is mainly early English; has a lofty tower of later date, covered with ivy, and commanding an extensive view; was recently restored byButterfield; and contains interesting sedilia and piscina.

Great Mongeham through time

Great Mongeham is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Mongeham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Mongeham, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6283

Date accessed: 03rd April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Mongeham ".