Leigh  Kent


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leigh like this:

LEIGH, a village and a parish in Sevenoaks district, Kent. The village stands near the river Medway, adjacent to the Tunbridge and Reigate railway, 2¾ miles W of Tunbridge; is sometimes called Lye or West Leigh; and has a post office, of the name of Leigh, under Tunbridge, and a fair on 16 June.—The parish contains also Hollanden hamlet, and part of Hildenborough chapelry. ...

Acres, 4,660. Real property, £6,130. Pop. in 1851, 1,161; in 1861,1,256. Houses, 222. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Hall Place, belongs to T. F. Baily, Esq. There is a mineral spring, of similar quality to the springs of Tunbridge Wells. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £510.* Patron, the Rev. T. May. The church is ancient; had once a chantry; was recently restored; had formerly no tower, but has now a new one; and contains a curious brass without name or date, and two other brasses. There are a national school, and charities £91.

Leigh through time

Leigh is now part of Sevenoaks district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sevenoaks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leigh, in Sevenoaks and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 25th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Leigh".