Place:


Blewbury  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blewbury like this:

BLEWBERRY, a village in Wantage district, and a parish in Wantage and Wallingford districts, Berks. The village stands near the Ridgeway and Icknield-street; 2 ½ miles WSW of Wallingford Road r. station, and 4 NE by N of East Ilsley; and it has a post office under Wallingford, and a fair on the Thursday after 29 Sept. ...


Pop., 639. Houses, 152. The parish includes also the hamlet of Upton with Nottingham-Fee liberty, and the liberty of Aston-Upthorpe. Acres, 6,814. Real property, £8,071. Pop., 1,114. Houses, 251. The property is divided among a few. The ancient manor-house was engirt by moat and earthen rampart. Blewberry Hill has barrows and an ancient camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; and till 1866 was united with Upton and Acton-Upthorpe. Value, £161.* Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is old but good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free school for 30 boys and 30 girls, and a large amount of charities.

Blewbury through time

Blewbury is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blewbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blewbury, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6243

Date accessed: 22nd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blewbury ".