Place:


Garthbeibio  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Garthbeibio like this:

GARTHBEIBIO, a village and a parish in Llanfyllin district, Montgomery. The village stands on the peninsula between the rivers Twrch and Banw, 9 miles WNW of Llanfair, and 9 N by E of Llanbrynmair r. station; is a resort of anglers; and has a bath-formed well, in repute for rheumatic complaints. ...


The parish comprises 7, 200 acres. Post town, Llanerfyl, under Welshpool. Real property, £1, 087. Pop., 326. Houses, 65. The property is divided among a few. Most of the surface is upland; and many parts have very striking scenery. A large kistvaen, containing two skeletons and an urn, was found at the forming of a new road and the erecting of a bridge near the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £140.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church was recently in a very dilapidated state.

Garthbeibio through time

Garthbeibio is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Garthbeibio itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garthbeibio, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6240

Date accessed: 06th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Garthbeibio ".