Place:


South Lopham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Lopham like this:

LOPHAM (SOUTH), a village and a parish in Guiltcross district, Norfolk. The village stands 1 mile S of North Lopham, 1 mile E of the sources of the rivers Waveney and Little Ouse, and 5½ SE of East Harling r. station; shares in the manufacture of North Lopham; and has a...office under Thetford. ...


The parish comprises 1,937 acres. Real property, £6,129. Pop. in 1851,731; in 1861,630. Houses, 154. The property is much subdivided. Two springs at Lopham Gate, in fens, 1 mile E of the village, are the sources of the Waveney and the Little Ouse. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of North Lopham, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is very old; has a beautiful Norman tower, rising between the nave and the chancel, restored in 1866; and contains a tablet commemorative of Elliott's charity. A school was built in 1863, at a cost of £800; and there are charities £127, besides 126 acres of allotment.

South Lopham through time

South Lopham is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Lopham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Lopham, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6236

Date accessed: 31st July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Lopham ".