Place:


Colaton Raleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colaton Raleigh like this:

COLYTON-RAWLEIGH, or Colaton-Raleigh, a village and a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon. The village stands on the river Otter, 3 miles W of Sidmouth, and 6 SSW of Ottery-Road r. station; and has a post office under Exeter. The parish includes also the hamlets of Kingston, Stowford, Blackbury, Stonyford, Grindle, Bystock, and Hawkerland. ...


Acres, 3, 757. Real property, £4, 265. Pop., 830. Houses, 182. The property belongs chiefly to the families of Rolle and Divett. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £370.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is bad. There is an Independent chapel. Charities, £7.

Colaton Raleigh through time

Colaton Raleigh is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Colaton Raleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colaton Raleigh in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6228

Date accessed: 05th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Colaton Raleigh ".