Place:


Bighton  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bighton like this:

BIGHTON, a parish in Alresford district, Hants; 2 miles NE of Alresford r. station, and 7½ SW of Alton. It has a post office under Alresford. Acres, 2,094. Real property, £2,404. Pop., 299. Houses, 65. The property is all in one estate. Remains of a Roman villa have been found at Bighton-Woodshot in the NW. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £310.* Patron, the Rev. J. T. Maine. The church is Norman, small, and good.

Bighton through time

Bighton is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bighton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bighton, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6218

Date accessed: 22nd June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bighton".