Place:


Drighlington  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Drighlington like this:

DRIGHLINGTON, a township-chapelry and a sub-district in Birstall parish, Bradford district, W. R. Yorkshire. The chapelry lies on the Gildersome branch of the Leeds, Bradford, and Halifax Junction railway, 5 miles SE by E of Bradford; includes a clothing village of its own name, and the hamlet of Adwalton; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Leeds. ...


Acres, 1, 130. Real property, £12, 730; of which £5, 673 are in mines. Pop., 4, 274. Houses, 835. The property is not much divided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300. Patron, Bishop of Ripon. The church is tolerable; and there are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and New Connexion Methodists. There is also an endowed school, with £60 a year. Archbishop Margetson was a native, and founded the school. The sub-district includes also the township of Tong. Acres, 3, 774. Pop., 7, 309. Houses, 1, 499.

Drighlington through time

Drighlington is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Drighlington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Drighlington, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/62

Date accessed: 06th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Drighlington ".