Place:


Kinnersley  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kinnersley like this:

KINNERSLEY, a village and a parish in Weobly district, Hereford. The village stands adjacent to the Hereford and Brecon railway, 4 miles SW by W of Weobly; and has a station on the railway. The parish contains also the township of Newchurch: and its posttown is Weobly, Herefordshire. Acres, 2, 199. ...


Real property, £2, 641. Pop., 313. Houses, 64. The manor belongs to John Parkinson, Esq. Kinnersley Castle, an old building, surrounded by a thick wood, is a chief residence. A fortalice of some importance was at the village, before the Norman Conquest; and the remains of it were converted into a dwelling house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £353.k Patron, Mrs. M. E. Clark. The church is of the 12th and 13th centuries, with a later tower; and contains several monuments. Schools were erected in 1861. Charities, £12.

Kinnersley through time

Kinnersley is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kinnersley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kinnersley in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6199

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kinnersley ".