Place:


Hunstanworth  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hunstanworth like this:

HUNSTONWORTH, a parish in Weardale district, Durham; on the river Derwent, at the boundary with Northumberland, 8 miles NNW of Stanhope r. station. Post town, Riding Mill, Northumberland. Acres, 10,380. Real property, £4,390; of which £1,000 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 615; in 1861, 778. ...


Houses, 131. The increase of pop. was caused by an influx of lead miners from Wales and Cornwall. The manor belonged to Robert Corbert; was given by him to Kepier hospital; and passed, through several hands, to Messrs. Joicey. A considerable tract is held by the Trustees of the late Bishop Lord Crewe, and was left by him for charitable purposes. Much of the land is moor and mountain. Lead ore is extensively mined; and there are large smelting mills and a huge water wheel. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £220.* Patrons, Messrs. Joicey. The church was rebuilt in 1865, at a cost of £2,500; and is in the decorated English style. An arched vault, 45 feet long and 25 wide, probably used as a store for goods and cattle in the time of the Border raids, is in the churchyard. There is a Methodist meeting room.

Hunstanworth through time

Hunstanworth is now part of Wear Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wear Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hunstanworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hunstanworth, in Wear Valley and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6198

Date accessed: 11th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hunstanworth ".