Place:


Ovington  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ovington like this:

OVINGTON, a village and a parish in Alresford district, Hants. The village stands on the river Itchin, 2 miles W S W of Alresford r. station; and has a post-office under Alresford. The parish comprises 1, 270 acres. Real property, £1, 223. Pop., 152. Houses, 30. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belongs to the Bishop of Winchester. Ovington Park is the residence of the Baroness Von Zandt. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £130.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is of the12th century, has a wooden tower, and was recently in bad condition. There are a national school, and charities £9.

Ovington through time

Ovington is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ovington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ovington, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6193

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ovington ".