Place:


St Sampson  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Sampson like this:

SAMPSON (St.), a parish in St. Austell district, Cornwall; on the river Fowey and the Cornwall railway, 3½ miles S by E of Lostwithiel. Post-town, Fowey, under Par Station. Acres, 1, 470. Real property, £1, 650; of which £10 are in mines. Pop., 311. Houses, 55. The property is divided among a few. A castle of the Earls of Salisbury stood at Castle-Dore. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £53. Patron, W. Rashleigh, Esq. The church is good.

St Sampson through time

St Sampson is now part of Restormel district. Click here for graphs and data of how Restormel has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Sampson itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Sampson, in Restormel and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6189

Date accessed: 17th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Sampson ".