Place:


Ockbrook  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ockbrook like this:

OCKBROOK, a village and a parish in Shardlow district, Derbyshire. The village stands 1 mile N N E of the Derby canal and of Borrowash r. station, and 4¾ E of Derby; and has a post-office‡ under Derby. The parish contains also the village of Borrowash, and comprises 1, 730 acres. ...


Real property, £5, 869. Pop. in 1851, 1, 763; in 1861, 1, 506. Houses, 344. The decrease of pop. was caused by depression in the silk glove trade. The property is much subdivided. There are many goodresidences. A large cotton factory is on the river Derwent at Borrowash; and a water and steam flour mill is at Shacklecross. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £160.* Patron, T. Pares, Esq. The church is partly Norman; was enlarged and repaired in 1835, at a cost of £700; and has a low tower, with Octagonal spire. There are a Moravian establishment, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, national and infant schools, and charities £21 at Ockbrook; and a national school used as a chapel of ease, and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels at Borrowash. The Moravian establishment was founded in 1750; comprisesthree boarding schools for respectively about 50 boys, 30girls, and 20 girls; and has, in the centre, a commodiouschapel, with a burial-ground behind.

Ockbrook through time

Ockbrook is now part of Erewash district. Click here for graphs and data of how Erewash has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ockbrook itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ockbrook, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6177

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ockbrook ".