Place:


Handsworth  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Handsworth like this:

HANDSWORTH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Sheffield district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the Midland railway, and near the boundary with Derby, 2 miles WNW of Woodhouse r. station, and 4 ESE of Sheffield. The parish contains also the villages of Gleadless, Intake, Richmond, and Woodhouse. ...


Acres, 3, 510. Real property, £13, 680; of which £1, 150 are in mines, and £130 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3, 264; in 1861, 3, 951. Houses, 864. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Norfolk. Woodthorpe Hall is the seat of John B. Brown, Esq. There are collieries, quarries, saw mills, and manufactures of cutlery. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Gleadless, in the diocese of York. Value, £589.* Patrons, Trustees. The church stands on an eminence; is ancient; has a small tower and spire; and was recently repaired. There are a chapel of ease in Gleadless, Independent chapels in Handsworth village, Gleadless, and Woodhouse, Methodist chapels in Handsworth and Woodhouse, a Quakers' chapel in Woodhouse, national schools in Gleadless and Woodhouse, and charities £20.—The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.

Handsworth through time

Handsworth is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Handsworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Handsworth, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/607

Date accessed: 14th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Handsworth ".