Place:


Stoke Hammond  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke Hammond like this:

STOKE-HAMMOND, a parish, with a village, in the district of Leighton-Buzzard and county of Buckingham; on the Northwestern railway and the Grand Junction canal, 2¾ miles S by E of Bletchley r. station. It has a post-office under Bletchley Station. Acres, 1,470. Real property, £2,044. ...


Pop., 401. Houses, 84. The property is subdivided. S. Lodge and S. House are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rev. J. Hart. The church is cruciform and good. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and a neat new national school.

Stoke Hammond through time

Stoke Hammond is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stoke Hammond itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoke Hammond, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6057

Date accessed: 04th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stoke Hammond ".