Place:


Much Hadham  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Much Hadham like this:

HADHAM (GREAT), or MUCH-HADHAM, a village and a parish in Bishop Stortford district, Herts. The village stands on the river Ash, near the Buutingford railway, 4 miles WSW of Bishop Stortford; is an ancient place; and has a station of the name of Hadham, on the railway, a post office‡ of the name of Great Hadham, under Ware, and a fair on 24 June. ...


A palace of the bishops of London once stood here; and the site of it is now occupied by a private lunatic asylnm. The parish contains also the hamlets of Green Tye, Exlends West, Perry Green, and Bromley. Acres, 4, 457. Real property, £8, 167. Pop., 1, 172. Houses, 244. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Perry Green, and the rectory of Little Hadham, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £2, 000. * Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is commodious and handsome; and has a tower and spire. There are a chapel of ease at Perry Green built in 1858, a national school, and charities £92.

Much Hadham through time

Much Hadham is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Much Hadham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Much Hadham in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6022

Date accessed: 22nd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Much Hadham ".