Place:


Farnborough  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farnborough like this:

FARNBOROUGH, a parish in Wantage district, Berks; 4¼ miles W by N of East Ilsley, and 6½ SSE of Wantage-Road r. station. Post town, West Ilsley, under Newbury. Acres, 1,844. Real property, £3, 030. Pop., 232. Houses, 48. The property is not much divided. A Roman road, called Old-street, traverses the E district. The parish is a meet for the Bramshill hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £291.* Patron, RalphPrice, Esq. The church is Norman; has a good doorway, a fine font, and monuments of the Prices; and is good.

Farnborough through time

Farnborough is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Farnborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farnborough in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5991

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Farnborough ".