Place:


Renhold  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Renhold like this:

RENHOLD, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Bedford; on an affluent of the river Ouse, 3¾ miles N E of Bedford r. station. Post-town, Bedford. Acres, 2, 165. Real property, £3, 336. Pop., 513. Houses, 92. The manor, with Howbury Hall, belongs to Capt. F.Polhill Turner. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £126.* Patron, Capt. F.Polhill Turner. The church is mainly later English, with a tower; was restored in 1863; and contains an altar-tomb of 1510 to W. Wayte, and 4 ancient marble monuments to the Polhills and the Beechers. There are an endowed school with £28 a year, and charities £11.

Renhold through time

Renhold is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Renhold itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Renhold, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5989

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Renhold ".