Place:


Dale Abbey  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dale Abbey like this:

DALE ABBEY, an extra-parochial chapelry in Shardlow district, Derbyshire; 3½ miles N of Borrowash r. station, and 5½ NE by E of Derby. Post town, West Hallam, under Derby. Acres, 1, 530. Real property, £2, 393. Pop., 366. Houses, 86. A priory of black canons was founded at Deepdale here, by Serlo de Grendon, in the time of Henry II.; and was succeeded by a Premonstratensian abbey in 1204. ...


The buildings were grand and extensive; but only an ivy-clad arch of the church and some parts which were converted into dwellings and barns, now remain. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, not reported. Patrons, Trustees. The church is an edifice older than the abbey, and at a short distance from the ruins. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Dale Abbey through time

Dale Abbey is now part of Erewash district. Click here for graphs and data of how Erewash has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dale Abbey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dale Abbey, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5980

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dale Abbey ".