Place:


East Stratton  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Stratton like this:

STRATTON (East), a parish in Winchester district, Hants; 2½ miles ENE of Mitcheldever r. station, and 8 NNE of Winchester. Post town, Mitcheldever Station. Acres, 2,190. Real property, £2,283. Pop., 365. Houses, 70. The manor belonged anciently to Hyde abbey at Winchester; went, at the dissolution, to Sir T. ...


Wriothesley; passed, by marriage with a daughter of the last Earl of Southampton, to William Lord Russell; and was sold, by his representative, to Sir Francis Baring. S. Park is the manorial mansion. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Mitcheldever. The church is ancient.

East Stratton through time

East Stratton is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Stratton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Stratton, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5938

Date accessed: 30th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Stratton ".