Place:


Llanfair Clydogau  Cardiganshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfair Clydogau like this:

LLANFAIR-CLYDOGAU, a parish in Lampeter district, Cardigan; on the river Teifi, 3 miles NE of Lampeter r. station. Post town, Lampeter, under Carmarthen. Acres, 4,815. Real property, £1,586. Pop., 614. Houses, 128. The property is divided among a few. The manors belong to the Earl of Lisburne and Lord Carrington. ...


Lead mines are on Lord Carrington's estate, and have yielded a large quantity of silver. Copper ore also is found. The Teifi is crossed by a bridge here. Standing stones, cairns, and ancient camps abound in this parish, and in the neighbouring one of Cellan; and indications exist of a junction with the Sarn Helen Roman way. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £65. Patron, alternately the Earl of Lisburne and Lord Carrington. The church was recently in disrepair.

Llanfair Clydogau through time

Llanfair Clydogau is now part of Ceredigion district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ceredigion has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanfair Clydogau itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfair Clydogau, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5913

Date accessed: 18th July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llanfair Clydogau".