Place:


Aston Upthorpe  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aston Upthorpe like this:

ASTON-UPTHORPE, a chapelry in Blewberry parish, Berks; 3½ miles NW of Wallingford r. station, and 4 SW of Wallingford. Post Town, Blewberry under Wall ingford. Acres, 1,320. Real property, £1,219. Pop., 169. Houses, 36. The property is divided among a few. Kenowwalch of Wessex was overthrown here, in 659, by Wulfhere of Mercia. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Uptou, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, not reported. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is ancient.

Aston Upthorpe through time

Aston Upthorpe is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aston Upthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aston Upthorpe, in South Oxfordshire and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5860

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aston Upthorpe ".