Place:


Filleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Filleigh like this:

FILLEIGH, a parish in South Molton district, Devon: near the river Bray, 3½ miles WNW of South Molton, and 6 E of Umberleigh r. station. Post town, South Molton, North Devon. Acres, 2, 038. Real property, £2, 092. Pop., 311. Houses, 70. Castle Hill is the seat of Earl Fortescue, and a very stately edifice; stands on a wooded eminence, crowned with an artificial structure in form of a ruined castle; and has fine gardens, shrubbery, and deer park. ...


The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of East Buckland, in the diocese of Exeter. The church was rebuilt in 1732; has an old tower: and contains many handsome monuments to the Fortescues. There is a suite of alms-houses, near a model farm.

Filleigh through time

Filleigh is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Filleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Filleigh in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5846

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Filleigh ".