Place:


Wellington  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wellington like this:

WELLINGTON, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; 2 miles NNW of Moreton r. station, and 5½ N by W of Hereford. It has a post-office under Hereford. Acres, 2,538. Real property, £4,852. Pop., 626. Houses, 150. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford-Value, £626.* Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church was rebuilt in 1863, at a cost of £5,000; and is in the early English style. There are an endowed school with £19 a year, alms houses with £30, and charities £8.

Wellington through time

Wellington is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wellington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wellington in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5844

Date accessed: 20th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wellington ".