Place:


Mariansleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mariansleigh like this:

MARIANSLEIGH, or MARY-ANSLEIGH, a village and a parish in South Molton district, Devon. The village stands on an eminence near the river Mole, 3¾ miles SSE of South Molton, and 7 ENE of South Molton Road r. station; and is a small place. The parish contains also the hamlets of Alsweir and Kemptown; and its Post town is South Molton, North Devon. ...


Acres, 1,963. Real property, £1,505. Pop. in 1851,334; in 1861, 281. Houses, 61. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Sir H. Davie, Bart. A sawing and turning mill is at Alsweir. The living is a Vicarage t in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £120. Patrons, the Trustees of Davey's Charity. The church is ancient; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and was reported in 1859 as not good. There are chapels for Independents and Bible Christians, a national School, and charities £8.

Mariansleigh through time

Mariansleigh is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mariansleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mariansleigh in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5830

Date accessed: 21st September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mariansleigh ".