Place:


Etwall  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Etwall like this:

ETWALL, a township and a parish in the district of Burton-upon-Trent and county of Derby. The township lies on an affluent of the river Trent, 3½ miles NE by E of Tutbury r. station, and 6 SW by W of Derby; and has a post office under Derby. Real property, £4, 991. Pop., 626. Houses, 133. ...


The parish includes also the townships of Burnaston and Bearwardcote. Acres, 3, 465. Real property, £6, 671. Pop., 846. Houses, 172. The property is subdivided. Etwall Hall and Etwall Lodge are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £342.* Patron, the Rev. Edward Alder. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. An hospital and a free school, founded in 1556 by Sir J. Port, for Etwall and Repton, have £2, 569, and other charities have £12.

Etwall through time

Etwall is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Etwall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Etwall in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5826

Date accessed: 22nd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Etwall ".