Place:


Bradworthy  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bradworthy like this:

BRADWORTHY, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in Bideford district, Devon. The village stands near the Bude canal, 7 miles NNW of Holsworthy, and 12 SW of Bideford r. station; and it has a post office under Holsworthy, North Devon, and fairs on 10 June, and 9 Sept. The parish includes also the hamlets of Alfardisworthy, Denworthy, Kimsworthy, and Youlston. ...


Acres, 9,586. Real property, £5,028. Pop., 981. Houses, 185. A considerable portion of the surface is moor and common. Many traces of Roman settlements have been observed. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Pancras-Wyke, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £243.* Patron, the Crown. The church has an oaken roof and a lofty tower. The subdistrict contains five parishes. Acres, 17,257. Pop., 911. Houses, 185.

Bradworthy through time

Bradworthy is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bradworthy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bradworthy, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5825

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bradworthy ".