Place:


Harewood  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harewood like this:

HAREWOOD, a parish in Ross district, Hereford; near the river Wye, 3¾ miles WSW of Fawley r. station, and 5½ NW of Ross. It has a post-office, of the name of Harewood-End, under Ross. Acres, 664. Real property, £1,016. Pop., 101. Houses, 20. Harewood-House is the seat of Sir Hungerford Hoskyns, Bart. ...


An ancient forest, including the parish and extending beyond it, was called Harewood forest, and contained the castle of Earl Ethelwold, who is supposed to have been assassinated by King Edgar. The living is a donative in the diocese of Hereford. Value, not reported. Patron, Sir H. Hoskyns, Bart. The church has long been disused.

Harewood through time

Harewood is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harewood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harewood in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5824

Date accessed: 01st March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harewood ".