Place:


Bridford  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bridford like this:

BRIDFORD, or Bridgeford, a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon; on the river Teign, 4 miles E by N of Moreton-Hampstead r. station, and 9 SW of Exeter. Post Town, Moreton-Hampstead, under Exeter. Acres, 4,114 Real property, £2,946. Pop., 576. Houses, 112. Lead mines were not long ago worked, but have been relinquished. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £305.* Patron, Sir L. V. Palk, Bart. The church is a small old structure, with turreted tower; and has a fine screen.

Bridford through time

Bridford is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bridford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bridford, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5786

Date accessed: 20th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bridford".