Place:


Soberton  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Soberton like this:

SOBERTON, a village and a parish in Droxford district, Hants. The village stands 4 miles E by S of Bishops-Waltham r. station, and has a post-office under Southampton. The parish contains also the hamlets of Kingsmead, Newtown, and Southend, the liberty of Wickham-Lodge, and the tything of East Hoe. Acres, 5,814. Real property, £5,088. Pop., 1,136. Houses, 249. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Meon-Stoke. The church is early English and good. There is a national school.

Soberton through time

Soberton is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Soberton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Soberton, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5762

Date accessed: 21st May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Soberton ".