Place:


Stagsden  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stagsden like this:

STAGSDEN, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Bedford; 4 ¾ miles W of Bedford r. station. It has a post-office under Bedford. Acres, 3,386. Real property, £3,794. Pop., 708. Houses, 140. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Dynevor. There is a chalybeate spring. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £350.* Patrons, the Proprietors of the Bramham Estate. The church is very old. There are an Independent chapel and a free school.

Stagsden through time

Stagsden is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stagsden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stagsden, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5754

Date accessed: 10th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stagsden ".