Place:


Newton St Petrock  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton St Petrock like this:

NEWTON-ST. PETROCK, a parish, with a village, in Bideford district, Devon; on the river Torridge, 7½ miles N E by N of Holsworthy, and 11 S S W of Bideford r. station. Post-town, Highampton, North Devon. Acres, 1, 556. Real property, £1, 223. Pop., 231. Houses, 48. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Mrs. Buck. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £220. * Patron, the Rev. F. D. Lempriere. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. There is a Baptist chapel.

Newton St Petrock through time

Newton St Petrock is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton St Petrock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton St Petrock, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5752

Date accessed: 08th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton St Petrock ".