Place:


Lyng  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lyng like this:

LING, or LYNG, a village and a parish in Mitford district, Norfolk. The village stands on the river Wensum, 6 miles NE by E of East Dereham r. station; and has a post office under Norwich, and a fair on 20 Nov. The parish contains also the hamlet of Ling-Easthaugh, and comprises 1,899 acres. Real property, £3,516. ...


Pop., 590. Houses, 141. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Rev. H. Lombe. A nunnery was early founded here; and was removed, in 1160, to Thetford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £528. * Patron, the Rev. H. Lombe. The church comprises nave, aisle, and chancel, with S porch and tower; and was recently in disrepair. There are chapels for Primitive Methodists and United Free Methodists, a national school, and charities £6. Jeffrey de Ling, a monkish historian, was probably a native.

Lyng through time

Lyng is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lyng itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lyng, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5748

Date accessed: 29th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lyng ".