Place:


Essendon  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Essendon like this:

ESSENDON, a parish in Hatfield district, Herts; on the river Lea, and on the Hatfield and Hertford railway, 3 miles E by N of Hatfield. It has a post office under Hertford. Acres, 2, 303. Real property, £4, 160. Pop., 672. Houses, 134. The property is divided among a few. Essendon House is a chief residence. ...


The parish gives the title of Baron to the Marquis of Salisbury. The living is a rectory in the dio. of Rochester. Value, £550.* Patron, the Marquis of Salisbury. The church is good. The vicarage of Bayford is a separate benefice. There are a national school and charities £20.

Essendon through time

Essendon is now part of Welwyn Hatfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Welwyn Hatfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Essendon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Essendon, in Welwyn Hatfield and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5725

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Essendon ".