Place:


Instow  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Instow like this:

INSTOW, a village and a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon. The village stands adjacent to the Bideford Extension railway, at the confluence of the rivers Taw and Torridge, opposite Appledore, 3½ miles NNE of Bideford; is a pretty watering place, rising into popular favour; commands a view, over Barnstaple bar, to Lundy Island; and has a quay, a railway station, and a post office, designated Instow, North Devon. ...


The parish comprises 1, 631 acres of land, and 285 of water. Real property, £2, 449; Pop., 614. Houses, 119. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £150.* Patron, Mrs. Cleveland. The church is later English, in good condition; and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Instow through time

Instow is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Instow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Instow in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5718

Date accessed: 31st May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Instow ".