Ingham  Norfolk


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ingham like this:

INGHAM, a village and a parish in Tunstead district, Norfolk. The village stands 1. mile NE of Stalham, and 16 NE of Norwich r. station; and has a cattle fair on Trinity Monday. The parish comprises 1, 503 acres. Post town, Stalham, under Norwich. Real property, £5, 289. Pop., 464. Houses, 110. ...

The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Inghams and others. A college, or priory, for the redemption of captives, was founded here, in 1360, by Sir Miles Stapleton; and was given, at the dissolution, to the bishops of Norwich, in exchange for other property. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, not reported. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is very good; has a lofty tower; and contains two canopied brasses of the Stapletons, an effigies of Sir O. Ingham of the time of Edward II., and an effigies of Roger de Boys. There are a Baptist chapel and 17½ acres of poors' land.

Ingham through time

Ingham is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ingham in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 08th May 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ingham ".