Place:


Ashbury  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashbury like this:

ASHBURY, a village anld a parish in Farringdon district, Berks. The village stands near the Ridgeway or Icknield-street, at the W end of Whitehorse vale, 3 miles SSE of Shrivenham r. station, and 7½ S of Farringdon; and it has a post office under Shrivenham. The parish includes also the tythings of Idstone and Odstone, and the hamlet of Kingstone-Winslow. ...


Acres, 5,520. Real property, £6,828. Pop., 742. Houses, 153. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £375.* Patron, Magdalen college, Oxford. The church is partly Norman, partly decorated English. There are a P. Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £14.

Ashbury through time

Ashbury is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashbury, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5677

Date accessed: 17th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ashbury".