Place:


East Down  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Down like this:

DOWN (East), a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon; round the head-streams of an affluent of the river Taw, 6½ miles NNE of Barnstaple town and r. station. Post town, Arlington, under Barnstaple. Acres, 3, 643. Real property, £3, 789. Pop., 418. Houses, 84. The property is much subdivided. ...


The manor belonged, in the time of Edward III., to the family of Downe; and passed to the Pines and the Coffins. Churchill estate belongs to the Chichesters. The southern part, around the church, is a pleasant valley; and the northern part rises into bold hills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £346.* Patron,Chichester, Esq. The church is perpendicular English; consists of nave and aisle, with low square tower; and is good. Charities, £5.

East Down through time

East Down is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Down itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Down in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5658

Date accessed: 29th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Down ".