Teddington  Middlesex


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Teddington like this:

TEDDINGTON, a parish, with a village, in the district of Kingston and county of Middlesex; on the river Thames and on the Twickenham and Kingston railway, 2 miles NW of Kingston. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office‡ under London SW. Acres, 1,120. Real property, £8,420. ...

Pop., 1,183. Houses, 242. T. Place is the seat of Sir J. Langham, Bart.; and there are many good residences. T. Lock, on the Thames, is the first lock on the river's navigation. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £100.* Patron, the Earl of Bradford. The old church dates from about the time of the Reformation; and the new church was built in 1865. There are an endowed school with £20 a year, and a mutnal instruction Society.

Teddington through time

Teddington is now part of Richmond upon Thames district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmond upon Thames has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Teddington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Teddington, in Richmond upon Thames and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 21st June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Teddington".