Place:


Cowden  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cowden like this:

COWDEN, a parish in Sevenoaks district, Kent; on a headstream of the Medway river, at the boundary with Sussex, 4½ miles SSE of Edenbridge r. station, and 7½ W of Tunbridge Wells. It has a post office under Edenbridge, and a fair on 2 Aug. Acres, 3, 232. Real property, £3, 694. ...


Pop., 772. Houses, 131. The property is much subdivided. Iron ore occurs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £347.* Patron, the Rev. T. Harvey. The church is old but good, and has a shingled spire. The p. curacy of Mark-Beech is a separate benefice. There are five alms-houses.

Cowden through time

Cowden is now part of Sevenoaks district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sevenoaks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cowden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowden, in Sevenoaks and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5622

Date accessed: 08th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cowden ".